I haven't seen it, I may watch it next time I'm bored and looking for something different. I have read about it, and agree with Jordy, some things I could see happening:
* As hinted at in reading material, weathly people would be the least impacted because they can afford protection.(The really weathy would be on yachts outside US territory for 24 hours).
* Theft not murder, might become the most common crime (in some cultures today it is considered just a normal part of life).
* A lot of "crime" would happen in poorer neighborhoods.
* I would assume this would encourage gun ownership, no matter the laws.
* Some gangs would use this to get a better stranglehold on a territory.
* Other gangs would use it to wipe out revival gangs.
* Many citzens would end up banding together for protection, as they did before the law was organized.
* All sorts of "side businesses" would pop up to take advantages of the negatives or postives that could be found.
This list speaks to Siggy's original thought: "In my opinion, this movie was about psycho-social, politico-economics issues."
I haven't seen the movie, just the trailers, but I don't buy into the idea that even if murder was legal for a day (or whatever it is in the movie) that people would start murdering each other. Laws don't keep me from murdering people, even people who piss me off or that I don't like. Common decency and repect for human life keep me from murdering people.
I think a society with no rules isn't a society. I think rules and regulations are part of being human, rules and laws evolved from more ancient commandments, etc. If you put together more than 2 people there are going to be rules. Heck, even with just two people.
We already have laws that infringe on women's, immigrants, and gay rights.
A lot of people are all bent out of shape over healthcare, the homeless and the mentally ill. The disenfranchised.
Mr.PITH, THANK YOU so much for the link! It explains how and why the New Founding Father's (Government) came about to think about and get Congress and people to vote and pass The Purge amendment.
I read the entire website!
I found this issue very interesting
To offset the unintended drop in enlistment resulting from an unprecedented low poverty rate, we plan to reinstate the military draft beginning in 2023 in order to ensure an equal and abundant pool of men and women to serve.
Defending our country abroad will instill civic responsibility in our youth and better prepare them for purging at home.
(Ha! The Purge killed off the all the poor people who might have enlisted to serve their country and get an education/trade!)
They also kept HARPING about being a PRODUCTIVE and contributing person to society. What happens when you retire, get a terminal illness, born with physical or mental *defects* and are not PRODUCTIVE?
The Purge will take care of you!
To Jody Verill,
I agree with you. I do not NOT murder because it's against the law, it's not in my nature. However, in The Purge society someone could very easily target YOU as a person to Purge. (For any or no reason.) Then what?
I really don't see this idea as so far fetched. (Too many judgmental and hateful people are chomping at the bit to wipe out entire groups of people for their religion, beliefs, behavior, skin color etc...)
Thank you again Mr. PITH!!!
(If anyone does watch the movie, I would still like to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!)
Last edited by Sigmund; September 6th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.