But to say that there is no difference between the two parties (which is not the way it should be but that's beside the point in this case) is simply not true. The biggest difference is that one party despises the social safety nets that the other has put into place and has been trying to destroy them from the moment they were brought up, let alone when they were signed into law. One party believes that government can actually do some things that are important and do them well while the other says they hate government... yet they still want to be part of it. Go figure. One party believes that unions are an important way to protect workers, the other is only interested in protecting corporations. One party believes that a woman's reproductive health is between her and her doctor, the other wants to legislate forced birth (while complaining about "Big" government all the while. Hmmm...) Do I need to continue?
Perhaps it's best to read the two party platforms: http://blogs.kqed.org/lowdown/files/...s-Compared.pdf You know, compare them.
Are there Democrats who are in the pocket of lobbyists, who don't care about anything other than their bottom line? Oh, yes. (Looking at you, Mary Landrieu) Are there Republicans who care about their constituents? I can't think of any offhand but, yes, there must be. The thing is, with few exceptions, one party is for the 98% of Americans who don't make a million dollars a year. The other gets paid by that 2%.
So, no, the two parties are NOT the same.
And BTW, Rachel Maddow is not the same as Bill O'Reilly. One has only to fact-check both shows and the difference is clear. Rachel might focus on things that concern liberals - as O'Reilly does for conservatives - but the difference is that Rachel does not lie. I dare you - I double dog dare you - to find a deliberate lie spoken by Ms. Maddow. But I'll save you the time. She hasn't lied. Even when she makes a simple mistake, she corrects it as soon as she can, often after the break. O'Reilly, OTOH, knows that his viewers want to hear a certain philosophy and he provides it, whether he has to lie or not. He works for Fox so he has to.
I am not perfect, either. But I take the time and effort to make sure I know what I am talking about instead of just taking anybody's word for it. That's why I choose to be a Democrat but always keep an eye on my peeps.